To ensure compliance with ITU’s policies, the following conditions apply to all students attending ITU:
- • First time internships – Internships for the first time with ITU will be limited to a part-time internship. An exception will be allowed for students who can demonstrate a prior successful internship or training experience related to a degree they earned in the U.S. Evidence of such an experience may include an academic transcript showing a passing grade in an internship course, a report from the institution’s internship program showing satisfactory performance, and/or a letter of recommendation from an employer or other evidence that the student was authorized to work for during a period of Optional Practical Training.
- Integrating Academic & Internship Learning (CFL 591)- Students must enroll in the Integrating Academic & Internship Learning (CFL 591) course before beginning their first internship. However, students who apply and are approved for internship their first trimester may take CFL 591 concurrently during that same first trimester.
- Continuous enrollment/attendance – If a student drops below full-time enrollment(Note: See exception below for F-1 Annual Vacation), or the internship provider otherwise ends the agreement, the student will not be permitted to continue with the internship.
- Start/End dates - As mentioned above, internships are approved only in conjunction with enrollment in INT 593. For this reason, internships cannot begin sooner than the trimester start date and must end by the trimester end date. No part of the internship may take place during break periods between trimesters.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements – Students must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA in their program at ITU to remain eligible for an internship. Once official grades have been posted for the prior trimester, any student who holds a cumulative GPA below 3.0 will lose all internship eligibility (both full-time and part-time), including eligibility for the trimester in progress.
- Students who maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher once final grades have been posted and have earned a term GPA below 3.0 will only be eligible to request a part-time internship.
- Students who have an incomplete grade and wish to apply for an internship must submit all outstanding work by the deadline to apply for internship. The final grade must be posted prior to the start of the internship. GPA requirements will apply.
- Students who have an incomplete grade and who do not submit completed outstanding coursework by the end of the subsequent academic term, will not be eligible to apply for a part-time or full-time internship, regardless of their cumulative GPA. (Refer to Incomplete grade policy).
- Students whose term GPA for the most recent trimester is 3.0 or higher, but cumulative GPA remains below 3.0, will not be eligible for internship.
Note: coursework taken at another institution will not be considered in determining eligibility for an internship in an ITU program.
- Academic performance requirements (INT 593) – A student who receives a grade of “NP” (no pass) in INT 593 will be reduced to part-time internship. If a second grade of “NP” (no pass) is received in INT 593, the internship will be cancelled and the student will be ineligible for future internships at ITU.
- Academic performance requirements (CFL 591) – A student must pass CFL 591 by the end of the trimester in which they complete their first internship or that student will lose all internship eligibility for the next term. Internship eligibility will be restored only if a passing grade has been earned in CFL 591 by the end of the following trimester.
- Maximum internship credit hours – Students are limited to ten total credit hours for INT 593. For each part-time internship (up to 20 hours per week), one credit of INT 593 will be used. For each full-time internship (21 to 40 hours per week), three credits of INT 593 will be used. This limit applies to both new and continuing students. A change in programs or interruption of studies will not reset this limit.
- Change of internship provider –ITU recognizes that unforeseen circumstances may require the change of an internship provider. To allow completion of INT 593, students will be allowed to change their internship provider once per trimester. However, after a second internship request has been submitted in the same trimester, no further changes will be permitted. All Change of Internship Provider Request must be dated at least 1 week out from the date of request and must have prior approval before ending the current internship.
A student may not request a change of internship authorization level (i.e. part-time to full-time/full-time to part-time) during the trimester in progress unless the request is the result of an adjustment of eligibility based on GPA and is submitted completely on or before the add/drop deadline.
Students may not change an internship provider after Friday (5:00pm) of the eighth week of the trimester.